Tuesday, February 10, 2009

regret

Today I am a bit angry at myself. I was having a lunch meeting w/ a Bellingham pastor, when we were interrupted by a guy sitting in the booth next to us. Prior to the lunch, I had prayed that God would use me to encourage this pastor and anyone who crossed my path. This interruption was an invitation to encourage. This man had overheard our conversation about church and mission, and decided to ask who we were. This man expressed he has heart for ministry and for God. He also told us he had just moved to town, is looking for work, and is living w/ relatives (and has until March to find his own place). The pastor gave him a couple resources to check out, and then he returned to his booth. As we left we said goodbye to the man, but I felt a tug at my heart to grab his contact info and to pray w/ him. I did neither. I feel like God opened the door to, at least, encourage this guy, but I was blind to the opportunity. As I got in my car to go home, I decided to drive by the restaurant to see if he was still there; he was not. I regret not acting upon the Spirit's leading. I wonder how often I miss out on the chance to breathe life into someone's day, b/c it wasn't on my terms. Those moments of "ministry surprise" catch us all off guard, especially when we are preoccupied w/ something or someone. And yet, we can not ignore them. My prayer for myself, and you, is that we will learn to be aware of the big picture around us, open to the Spirit's leading, and have the clarity to act in the midst of surprise moments. And, I am reminded that in God's sovereignty, He chooses us (w/ all our imperfections and flaws) to partner w/ Him in ministry. So, I pray that God will encourage that guys today, despite my "miss", and resolve to submit myself more to the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment