Wednesday, January 14, 2009

love

I recently returned from Colorado, for the second time. I returned again to Colorado, after only a week home in Washington, b/c my Grandma passed away. It was a special time of connection w/ my family. When i was in Colorado the first time, for Christmas, I was able to connect w/ Grandma. She and my Grandpa, "Peeps", had an awesome marriage of commitment and love that I hope K8 and i can imitate. In my last couple conversations w/ Grandma, she got sappy when it was time to go (she always did). In her "goodbye" in those last couple meetings she gave me the advice to love, "b/c it's the most important thing." Reflecting on this, I shared 1 Corinthians 13 at her memorial service. We wrongfully think of this text only as a wedding text, that is focused on marital love. In reality Paul wrote the Corinthians concerning church unity, by which love draws us together. So, using the text as a wedding text fits, but on a secondary level - the same can be said for using it as a funeral text as well. Anywho, I think Grandma's words are true. Love is most important in our relationships w/ God, our family, church, friends, and community. If our desire is to love all these things, then we must reflect on the words of 1 Cor. 13. As you read the words of the text, I invite you to join me in reflecting on how we match up to the descriptors of love. I pray that you will be blessed by the exercise.
1 Corinthians 13, "1 If I speak in human or angelic tongues, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body [to hardship] that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails... 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

No comments:

Post a Comment