Monday, July 27, 2009

friend?

I'm on facebook. I laugh at many of the friends I have there. The term friend is such a broad term on places like myspace and facebook. I am "friends" w/ several folks I don't really know: some kid from elementary school, an old friend's little brother, and someone I was on a week-long trip w/. They are great people, but I don't know them very well and we are “friends”.

With the church plant, I am finding that my main job is to make friends, to meet people. I could send out a facebook announcement or a mass email or advertise in the newspaper and telephone poles, saying a new church is starting and ask folks to check us out. But that seems too impersonal to me. I am in the belief that people desire authentic community. This belief places a high priority on relationship rather than structure. It also calls for a slower process of getting things rolling. Building relationships is slow at times, but foundational. In a culture that bucks authority and institutions, relationships are everything. One comes to a party, b/c they are invited and trust the one inviting them. There is power in relationships and friendship.

It is a power of trust and trusting; and, trust takes time. I believe I am beginning to see that our strategy is starting to pay off. Neighbors, who were once (and maybe still are) suspicious are now bringing up spiritual topics w/ us. I think they trust that we are not going to beat them w/ our Bibles, but journey w/ us as we explore faith w/ them. They are becoming friends in the real sense of the word. My prayer is that trust will grow, faith in Him will grow, and friends will be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment