Monday, August 24, 2009

support

This past week our car broke down. “Big Red” was a little jumpy as we drove around, so I got on the horn and called around. I spoke w/ folks from auto parts store and a couple mechanics, and the common denominator was our “mass airflow sensor.” I looked at our existing one and it was visibly damaged, so I figured it was a sure thing. By the time I figured out that this was probably the problem, the car wasn’t starting at all. Poor Big Red.

It was from this point forward I realized again how blessed we are by the people around us. A friend and neighbor from cohousing drove me to an auto parts store to order a new airflow sensor, which was a fun time of chatting and getting to know her a bit more. The next day, another friend/neighbor drove me back to the store to pick up the part. Again it was a great time of connection. Returning home to our dead car, I installed the new part; and to my dismay Big Red didn’t start! Apparently, my gamble to save a few bucks did not pay off. So figuring I had created enough damage, I resolved to take the car to the shop. But how to get it there? Again, my neighbor came to my aid and said he would tow me to the mechanic, but he didn’t have a tow strap. So we knocked on some doors around cohousing, and another neighbor/friend couple helped out, by cutting us some thick rope for the tow. Thankful, we towed the car to the shop w/ no troubles. Being Saturday, the shop was about to close, and said they could not look at it until Monday. Knowing Sunday was the next day and I had to lead music in Lynden (30 minutes away) that evening, I wondered how we were going to make it there. But, you guessed it; someone else came to our aid. Our good friends from Lynden drove down and hung out w/ us Saturday evening, bringing w/ them a loaner car for us to use. We were able to meet all of our obligations on Sunday as a result of having this loaner car.

The (hopeful) end to our car story came this morning when I received a call from the shop. They said that, in fact, I did install the right part, but neglected to finish the job by connecting a tube that came loose at some point, that I did not notice. I picked up the car, w/ no charge from the mechanic, drove it home (running like a champ – hooray for Big Red), and dropped off the loaner car to our friend’s place of work, here in town.

This whole experience was a bit of a pain in the neck, but made me realize, again, how blessed we are by those around us. In the short time we have lived in WA, we’ve made great friends who have supported us in incredible ways, practically, relationally, and prayerfully. Being on the receiving end of these things makes me resolve, again, to be there for folks who need some help and/or encouragement. Last week I was encouraged by Hebrews 10:23-25. I want to learn from and live out what it says. It reads, “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” I would encourage you this season to join me, and think about how you can live these words out. He has blessed us richly in many ways; so, let us be a blessing, in His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment