Tuesday, February 2, 2010

discouragement

It was interesting this past weekend. I preached at Mosaic about discouragement and the parables of the mustard seed and the yeast. My main point was that even though we may be discouraged and wonder if God is moving, the truth is that He is moving, and in fact creating a home and a feast for His people. Having preached in the evening gathering, we went home and began winding down for bed. When I turned off the light… guess what hit me in the nose? Discouragement!

Thoughts raced in my head, of what good I did that night, what would happen if no one joined us in the church plant, what we would do if it all fell flat. My own answers I'd preached hours earlier were not helping; I couldn't shake it.

The next morning I shared it all w/ K8. We prayed together that God would draw His church in. I went for a long walk before working at the coffee shop. I was feeling better, but still had felt the aftershocks of the short night of sleep.

Then when my shift was almost over, I got a call from a friend who told me he and his wife had been talking and decided to take the plunge and join us as we start the church. What a difference a few hours makes! I had started the day in the dumps of discouragement, prayed for encouragement, and then God brought encouragement. It was so awesome to receive a specific answer to a specific prayer. Just when you think God's not moving, He reveals a bit of what He's doing, and we praise Him for it.

I continue to pray that God would bring folk to us who will be a part of the first chapter of the church, but this was a specific boost I needed for that day. Cool, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment