Saturday, March 6, 2010

my friend chris

Last night, K8 and I went to the opening of our friend Chris' art show. Over the last couple months we've been praying w/ him as he has been prepping for this show. I am proud of my friend and his family. To see them work hard and struggle toward this goal gave me a glimpse into their life, w/ it's rewards and struggles.

After the opening last night, a group of us went to a pub to celebrate. Chris and I got into a cool conversation. It ebbed and flowed to different places, but one of the things that stuck out for me was the question, "Can one experience God in beauty?" I think the answer is a definite YES!

God reveals Himself in the beauty of creation, in art, in friendships, as well as in books of theology and sermons. In all of these revelations salvation is not bestowed, that is the work of the Holy Spirit. However in these revelations I believe God often reveal Himself, and causes us to wrestle, praise, and journey w/ Him.

Seeing Chris work has reminded me that God lives and moves in both sides of our brains. It has been an inspiring thing to be friends w/ this man and his family. It seems to me that for Chris his art is a very real avenue of worship for him. This comes out in the bio he had posted on the wall last night and on his website (http://chrisshreve.com/home.html), which you should check out:

"DRAW A BED AND CLIMB IN IT: AS A CHILD I loved to draw. I would come often to my mother with the same question: “What can I draw?” Her response was always the same, “Draw a bed and climb in it.” When I think of these words now I am struck with the profundity and power they can hold if cared for properly. I believe that we literally have the ability to pull from the invisible and shape the visible. Imagination and creativity have power to “bring into being”. To incarnate. Painting has allowed me to conceive of a thing and watch it grow flesh. The sketchbook and the easel have become for me an altar for prayer and meditation, for confession and struggle and a place for ugliness to be confronted by grace and beauty. It has become a place to make my bed and lay in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment