Thursday, September 16, 2010

balance and the bellingham bay half-marathon

Next week is the race, The Bellingham Bay Half-Marathon. I've been training for about 7 weeks now. I always enjoy running a race in the fall. It seems like a good way to start a new season. This year I had another motivation... Mexico. A week after the race K8 and I are heading for Mexico to celebrate 10 Years of marriage, which should be sweet. So to gear up for it I felt extra motivation for this race (no one wants to see flabby Aaron). This is the longest week in my training, and I'm ready for shorter miles.

In light of thinking about making running for of a weekly/daily rhythm, I've been thinking about balance. Unless I have a goal, working out is usually the 1st thing to go in a busy schedule. But it is the workout that helps me maintain balance in the midst of a busy schedule. I find that if I don't get into the word and get active in the mornings, the rest of the day feels rushed or strained. It may be different for someone else, but this is what I've found. I dislike the days that feel disproportional toward one thing or another. A well proportioned day of study, fitness, work, being social, family time and service feels the best. And summer felt pretty proportioned and balanced. So the question for me is, How will I continue to find balance after the race is over, and once fall is fully in bloom?

I pray that you and I both will be blessed with the foresight to make proactive choices (rather than reactive choices) so we may live lives w/ margin, balance, and joy. I believe that when we are able to live in these spaces, we are able to listen to God's voice more clearly and have the room in our lives to bless our families, friends, and neighbors in His name. So will you join me in raising a glass to His movement in lives as we strive for balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment