Tuesday, September 7, 2010

change

As I was working at the Firehouse today, one customer mentioned that they had just dropped their kids off at school. Today is the 1st day back for Bellingham School District. I was curious if they were relieved to get their kids out of the house or wishing they didn't have to go. My customer mentioned that this year is their child's senior year of high school, and so they were navigating the feelings surrounding this being the last year of school, and all that means for their family. In contrast to this, just yesterday Kate and I were standing inside a classroom deciding whether to enroll Montana in her 1st year of preschool. "It's only preschool", but it feels funny thinking about sending her off to begin a new chapter. Then I also think about some new friends of mine. They've just moved to town from another state. Beginning new jobs today, making new friends, and finding "their" new spots to hang.

Change is in the air this week, and w/ it is a mix of emotions. We long to keep things as they are. I found myself saying (the same words my mother said to me as a kid) to Montana, "Don't grow up so fast". Yet, we also long for newness. I'm excited for the new adventures that the next season will bring. It's a strange mix of emotion. Change is in the air this week, but it always there. Change has a feeling of destabilizing us. And depending on our mood or disposition, this can either be welcomed or feared.

Change is something we can count on. But in the midst of it, there is One whom we can actually depend on, One we can look to for true stability. I'm encouraged by the words of Psalm 62:5-6, "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken." This fortress will remain solid in the face of attacks, and strong winds.

So as think about my customer, my friends, and our family - all experiencing a different form of change - I have hope. I hope in the Constant One, our strength and our salvation. I know He is good, stable and powerful when we feel mixed. For that, I have hope and give Him praise.

1 comment: