Monday, June 15, 2009

books

K8 and I are heading out this week for a couple weeks off. We’ll be visiting family. My cousin is getting married at Notre Dame, and after a few days there then we’ll go to the Black Hills to hang w/ K8’s family. So we’re packing, which isn’t something I usually put much thought towards. But I have a dilemma, what books do I take w/ me? It’s a toughy. I am currently reading a lot of different things, some personal, some professional, some fun, some not, but all worthy.

So I need to make a decision. It’s a matter of suitcase space and reality (what am I actually going to possibly ready maybe. I usually bring more than I will read). At the moment, none of these books are on my Kindle, surprisingly. So I need to make a decision. I’ll figure it out, but I thought it would be fun to share what I’m reading right now, and maybe someone can give me some insight on which would be better for vacation.

Here they are:
-John Calvin’s “Institutes of the Christian Religion” (A classic book of theology, guaranteed to get some “church nerd” jokes from my loved one’s)
-“World Café” by Juanita Brown (A book describing a method of bring community folks together to discuss common interests, community organizing goodness)
-“My Sister’s Keeper” by Jodi Picoult (an interesting novel, generally read by women, but I’m down)
-My Bible (it’s the good book after all)
-“Exiles” by Michael Frost (a book about living a missionally our culture which doesn’t feel obligated to the Christian faith)
-“Plan B” by me (it’s my half-way done attempt at writing fiction, which I want to finish this summer, but haven’t written on in a few months)
-“The Disappearance of the Universe” by Gary Renard (a Gnostic/”new agey” book I’m reading for a spirituality study group w/ neighbors)

No comments:

Post a Comment