Monday, October 12, 2009

armor

A couple weeks ago I was invited to give an update on the church plant in a local church (Hope in Christ). Pastor Scott was preaching on Ephesians 6:19, 20. Prior to these verses, the Apostle Paul tells us to put on the armor of God. In preparing for the update I was reflecting on this armor. I believe when Christians hear or read this passage our thoughts automatically go toward defense, which begs the question: "Who are we defending against?" Some would say the devil or the world, which is true to a point. What happens is we put on this armor w/ a posture of defending ourselves against outsiders, we become xenophobic. We begin to build walls against the very people and institutions we are called to serve and love. I was encouraged that Scott's message was not about building up the defenses/staying put, but spreading the love of Christ.

After talking about the armor of God, Paul says in verse 19, "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel..." With the armor of God in mind, Paul asks that he could confidently proclaim the love of Christ. He was not staying put or being defensive, but stepping out in love. My prayer for those of us who are believers in Christ, is that we would go, that we would not stay put and fortify the walls, that we would confidently share the hope of Christ w/ those who do not know Him, sharing that God is for us and them not against us or them. We are not called to live in ghettos, but to share our lives and love w/ others, standing in the confidence that we are protected by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment