Sunday, October 25, 2009

how's He working?

Like a good boy, I was reading my Bible this week (the Gospel of Luke in fact), and I got to thinking. In Luke 7, Jesus is at work; He heals someone and raises someone from the dead. Then some disciples of John the Baptist report to John what they are seeing, and John sends them to Jesus to ask if He is the messiah who they have been waiting for. In Luke 7:21, 22, we read, "At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind. So he replied to the messengers [John disciples], 'Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.'" The proof Jesus chooses to report to John's disciples is seen in the results or actions of His ministry.

What got me thinking was this question: How would we answer someone today to show that God is working through what we do? If you are a Christ follower, how would you explain to others that Christ is working in your life, and in your community? What would you say? Answering that question makes me wonder how I am using my time, and how I could use it better. I believe that as we work toward starting a new faith community, God is working through us to draw people out of spiritual and social isolation. Spiritually lonely people are finding fellowship, and the lonely are being visited.

Drawing folks away from isolation is one thing I think He is doing through us here in Bellingham, but I think there is a lot more we can be doing. I don't feel guilty about this, but rather excited to see how He will use us as we continue to step out in faith, for His glory. What would it be like if we all "went for it" a little more, and stepped out of our comfortable relations and situations and gave a hand of compassion and a word of encouragement to those we feel like we "should" be reaching out to? It is cool to think about how God would use us, for His Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment